As Sigma approaches one hundred years, we stand proud in the footprints of the legacy our founders envisioned 99 years ago at Howard University. While we prepare to celebrate our Centennial, a threat known as hazing, a disease that, if not addressed, could plague our beloved Fraternity and threatens its existence.
In 2012, we launched an Anti-Hazing Campaign designed to eradicate hazing and protect Sigma’s heritage. Our goal was to develop initiatives that focus on educating and empowering our Brotherhood to serve as agents of change in the battle against hazing. Our campaign was introduced via a partnership with the National Action Network at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. As part of the campaign, we developed supporting documents (along with a video), held a town hall meeting on the subject, facilitated workshops and encouraged chapters to participate in the National Anti-Hazing Awareness Day held on September 6, 2012.
Beginning this fall, we are introducing our National Anti-Hazing Week (September 22-28, 2013). During this week, all collegiate and alumni chapters are to host an Anti-Hazing prevention workshop for its members. The expectation is that the collegiate Chapter President and the Chapter Advisor will facilitate the training. For our alumni chapters, we want the Chapter President and the Intake Chairman to facilitate the training.
We recognize the challenges the start of the fall can bring as many chapters are resuming their activities for the first time in months. To assist in executing the Anti-Hazing Campaign within your chapter at ease, we have placed all resources that are needed on the Fraternity’s website…here is a description of the materials that are available:
- An Anti-Hazing Video that the chapters should watch at the beginning of the workshop
- A PowerPoint presentation already put together
- A facilitator guide that walks brothers through the presentation and gives insight on how to deliver the content of the presentation
- A participant’s workbook, designed to provide notes and to expand on the content of the presentation
- A test that brothers must complete after going through the training
- An Anti-Hazing pledge that must be completed at the end of the workshop. The chapter should send a signed copy by each chapter member that attended the workshop to Bro. Aaron Lewis at our International Headquarters (email@example.com). All pledge forms should be at the headquarters by 10/11/13.
- All seven Regional Directors HAVE MANDATED, that in order to have your MIP request approved, your chapter must conduct an Anti-Hazing Workshop during 9/22-9/28/13. If you have any question on this mandate, please contact your Regional Director.
Tips to assist in making the coordination “easy to execute”:
- Collegiate and Alumni chapters may work together on a joint training
- Collegiate chapters may ask for assistance from their school’s Greek Life advisor to help facilitate the training; however the Chapter President and Alumni Advisor must also serve as Facilitators
- To assist in achieving 100% member participation in the National Anti-Hazing Campaign, for legitimate reasons that are determined by the Collegiate Chapter Advisor. If a Brother can’t attend the excused Brother must schedule a meeting to watch the Anti-Hazing video, complete the test and sign the Anti-Hazing Pledge. We understand that special circumstances may arise…we ask that you work with your local and regional leadership to address these issues.
Brothers, this is a great opportunity to live out the creed that guides our actions as Sigma Men. Sigma needs us now, more than ever, to create an environment that allows our Fraternity to flourish for another 100 years.
Thanks for your Support of Centennial 10,000+ and our National Anti-Hazing Campaign!
Yours in Brotherhood, Scholarship and Service,
International First Vice President
International Second Vice President